A non-edible Gingerbread man

Modelling again..quite pleased with my first attempt I decided to play around with clay a little bit more...and since it was Christmas time, I opted for this Gingerbread man:


Remember: not for eating!

I am particularly happy with the hat, that I obtained from a cone that I bent sideways, to which I attached a stripe and a ball of clay. The foamy effect was realized thanks to this tool,



part of the set in the picture that I received as a present...yes, I am a bit spoiled!  ^_^
Honestly, I am not 100% sure about how to use them, maybe some among you has suggestions? ;)
If you don't have these tools, don't worry, you can use a toothpick, or a skewer, it will work as well.
I used again acrylic paints to paint the figurine, this time with smaller ambitions concerning lights and shadows...I tried nevertheless, painting in a lighter color small areas to give volume to the figurine, but I was too afraid to mess up so the result is barely visible...
As for the hat, the rough surface called for  washing+dry brush..
For those who don't know, washing consists in using a brush that has little paint and a lot of solvent (water, in my case). The paint has to be of a darker color compared to the base that we are going to wash. Since it is so liquid the paint will preferentially go in the cavities, making them darker and enhancing the details, but without covering the base color (or just covering it a little bit). Be careful when doing this on das clay, as it will get softened by the water, with possible undesired results!
To emphasize lighter parts, the dry brush technique comes in handy: dip the brush (which shouldn't be too small) in paint, then dry it very well over a piece of paper, and brush the surface you want to lighten up. The paint will only stay on the parts of the figurine that "stick out", creating a lighting effect and giving volume to the model.
This is the theory, you can see that in practice none of this happened.. -.-'
This is again, I suppose, because of the porosity of the clay, and *maaaaybe* because I was not patient enough to wait for the paint to dry properly.. ^_^
I must say that I have no background (if you hadn't realized yet :P) in modelling, painting, nor drawing. The few things I know I learned painting figurines under the supervision of more expert people, or looking around the web, trying to steal tricks and secrets..In other words this is an experiment for me, trial and error...let's see where it leads!
And, of course, those more skilled than me are more than welcome to share their knowledge!



UN OMINO DI MARZAPANE NON COMMESTIBILE

Ancora modelli...abbastanza compiaciuta dal mio primo tentativo, ho deciso di giocherellare ancora con il Das...e siccome era il periodo natalizio, ho optato per questo omino di marzapane:


Sono particolarmente contenta di come è venuto il cappello, che ho ottenuto a partire da un cono che ho poi piegato da un lato, al quale ho attaccato una striscia e una sfera di das. L'effetto spumoso l'ho ottenuto con l'aiuto di questo strumento,

parte di un set che ho ricevuto per regalo...lo ammetto, sono un po' viziatella! ^_^
Onestamente non sono sicura al 100% di come usare questi attrezzi, forse qualcuno di voi ha consigli? ;)
Se non disponete di tale utensile, non preoccupatevi, potete usare uno stuzzicadenti, o uno spiedo, andrà bene lo stesso.
Ho utlizzato anche stavolta colori acrilici per dipingere il modello, con meno ambizioni riguardo a  ombre e luci...nonostante ciò ho tentato, dipingendo con colori più chari le aree che ritenevo illuminate, per conferire volume al soggetto, ma ho avuto troppa paura di rovinare tutto, perciò il risultato è appena visibile... -.-'
La superficie ruvida del cappello, d'altra parte, suggeriva naturalmente una lavatura+pennello asciutto...
Per chi non lo sapesse, la lavatura consiste nell'utlilizzare un pennello con poca tinta e molto solvente (in questo caso acqua). La tinta deve essere più scura della base che si vuole "lavare". Poichè molto diluita, la vernice si insinuerà preferenzialmente nelle cavità, rendendole più scure ed enfatizzando i dettagli, ma lasciando inalterata (o quasi) la base. Prestate attenzione quando usate questa tecnica sul das, perchè l'acqua lo ammorbidirà, con possibili effetti indesiderati!
La tecnica del pennello asciutto, invece, è utile per dare risalto alle zone in luce: intingete il pennello (che non deve essere troppo piccolo) nella vernice, quindi asciugatelo molto bene su un tovagliolo di carta, e passatelo sulla superficie che volete lumeggiare. La vernice si depositerà solo sulle parti in rilievo, conferendo volume al modello.
Questa è la teoria, in pratica nulla di tutto ciò è accaduto.... -.-'
La causa credo sia di nuovo da ricercarsi nella porosità del materiale, e *foooooorse* nel fatto che non sono stata abbastanza paziente da aspettare che i colori si asciugassero per bene... ^_^
Ci tengo a specificare che non ho nessuna preparazione (se qualcuno di voi avesse ancora dubbi) in materia di pittura, modellismo, nè tantomeno disegno. Le poche cose che so le ho imparate dipingendo miniature sotto la supervisione di persone più esperte, o sbirciando qua e là nel web, cercando di rubacchiare trucchi e segreti...in altre parole questo è esperimento per me, della serie: "sbagliando s'impara"...vediamo dove andrà a finire!
E, ovviamente, ogni consiglio è ben accetto!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! They brighten my day! :)